Instructional pictures for Petzl Nomic ice tool 2018.
The NOMIC ice axe sets the standard for ice climbing. Perfectly balanced, equipped with weights, it offers an exceptional swing. The PUR'ICE pick provides efficient placement in any type of ice. The shape of the ice axe and the double handle offer multiple grip modes, as well as stable hand switching. The grip is comfortable, thanks to the ergonomics of the handle and to the adjustable GRIPREST handrest. Featuring a minimalist hammer, the head is protected and allows the user to hammer a piton back in. Entirely modular, the ice axe can be optimized for the terrain.
- Efficient placement on any type of ice:
- perfect shape and balance of the ice axe provide an exceptional swing
- facilitated hooking, thanks to the curve under the head
- PUR'ICE pick is tapered at the tip (3 mm), offering excellent penetration in any type of ice, including the very hardest. It is serrated on the upper side to offer a stable support when turned upside-down
- inertia and striking quality are optimized, thanks to the MASSELOTTE weights
- Comfortable grip, designed for technical ice climbing:
- multiple grip modes and stable hand switching, thanks to the double handle (high and low)
- lower handle is offset to protect the hand from contact with the ice and to provide more comfort when suspended
- upper handle is over-molded and bi-material, offering excellent grip and insulation from the cold
- hydroformed shaft for optimal grip in the middle of the shaft
- Modular construction:
- entirely modular head allows the technical aspects of the ice axe to be adjusted
- sold with MINI MARTEAU, to protect the head and allow the user to hammer a piton back in
- without accessories, the ice axe is lighter, for dry tooling (only 500 g)
- GRIPREST NOMIC handrest is overmolded and adjustable to three positions, to adapt to all hand sizes, even while wearing gloves. The lower part has a serrated stainless steel point that improves support when used in piolet-canne mode
- connection hole is compatible with V-LINK elasticated loss-prevention webbing
When you click a link below and then checkout online, no matter what you buy (climbing gear or not), we get a small commission that helps us keep this site up-to-date. Thanks!
|Weight (g / oz)|
Weight (g / oz)
In grams and ounces, the weight, as stated by the manufacturer/brand.
The weight is the packaged weight. If there are differences in weight (due to optional accessories) we'll note them here.
|585 g / 20.63 oz|
|Length (cm)||50 cm|
|Head Details|| Hammer|
2 Screw adjustment
|Ice Rating|| Pick: B / Type 1|
Shaft: T / Type 2
|Picks|| Included with the tool: |
Other Picks Available:
|Pommel & Grip|
Pommel & Grip
Fixed: An upper pommel that is fixed in place (it cannot move up/down the shaft nor can it be taken off).
Adjustable: An upper pommel that can move up and down the shaft.
Removable & Adjustable: An upper pommel that is completely removable and also adjustable.
Removeable: An upper pommel that is either on or off (it cannot move up/down the shaft).
None: If there is no upper pommel that comes standard (there may or may not be options to buy separately).
Fixed: A lower pommel that is fixed in place (the angle cannot be changed nor can it be taken off).
Adjustable: A lower pommel that can change angle or location on the tool.
Removable: When the lower pommel can be removed but not adjusted.
None: If there is no lower pommel that comes standard (there may or may not be options to buy separately).
| Upper Pommel: Fixed|
Lower Pommel: Removable & adjustable
Grip Size: Adjustable
|Materials|| Pick: Steel|
Grip: Glass fiber reinforced plastic
The main climbing gear certifications are CE and UIAA--and normally the UIAA creates the rules that the CE body also supports. When possible, we try to list all the certifications the product carries.
To sell a climbing product in Europe, the device must be CE certified. There are no official requirements to sell climbing gear in the US. The UIAA certification is a voluntary process.
Field of application, inspection and additional information with instructional pictures.
Describes with words and helpful photos, how to protect your ice tool and ice axe.
A checklist helping you monitor your ice tool and ice axe health, helping to know when to retire your ice tool and ice axe.
Helpful instruction for inspecting Petzl ice tool and ice axe.