Field of application, inspection and additional information with instructional pictures.
Versatile ice axe for technical mountaineering and ice climbing
QUARK is a versatile ice axe designed for technical mountaineering and for ice climbing. Its balance and its ICE pick allow solid placements on any type of ice. The TRIGREST and GRIPREST handrests make it easy to handle and comfortable in any situation. They provide more efficient handle grip for difficult sections. Entirely modular, the QUARK ice axe adapts easily to technical, varied terrain: snow couloirs, gullies, north faces, icefalls...
- Versatile ice axe:
- shaft curved below the head and GRIPREST QUARK handrest at the bottom of the shaft to protect the hands on ice climbs
- shaft has a steel spike and is straight enough for use in piolet-canne mode
- shaft is hydroformed for optimal grip in the middle of the shaft, for snow couloirs
- over-molded, bi-material handle provides good grip while insulating from the cold
- TRIGREST QUARK and GRIPREST QUARK handrests strengthen the grip on difficult sections
- 550 g with PANNE or MARTEAU
- Efficient placement on any type of ice
- ICE pick is tapered at the tip (3.3 mm) and versatile across all terrain: snow, ice and mixed
- compatible with MASSELOTTE weights to modify the balance and improve the inertia of the ice axe
- Modular construction:
- entirely modular head allows the technical aspects of the ice axe to be adjusted
- compatible with Petzl accessories: PUR'ICE, MINI MARTEAU, MASSELOTTES...
- TRIGREST QUARK handrest is height adjustable without tools
- GRIPREST QUARK handrest folds in easily for planting the ice axe in snow
- connection hole is compatible with V-LINK elasticated loss-prevention webbing
- only 465 g, not including accessories
When you click a link below and then checkout online, no matter what you buy (climbing gear or not), we get a small commission that helps us keep this site up-to-date. Thanks!
|Weight (g / oz)|
Weight (g / oz)
In grams and ounces, the weight, as stated by the manufacturer/brand.
The weight is the packaged weight. If there are differences in weight (due to optional accessories) we'll note them here.
| 550 g / 19.40 oz|
Stripped down the base-weight of the Quark is only 465 g
|Length (cm)||50 cm|
|Head Details|| Adze (pair: Quark Hammer
2 Screw adjustment
|Ice Rating|| Pick: T / Type 2|
Shaft: T / Type 2
|Picks|| Included with the tool: |
Other Picks Available:
|Pommel & Grip|
Pommel & Grip
Fixed: An upper pommel that is fixed in place (it cannot move up/down the shaft nor can it be taken off).
Adjustable: An upper pommel that can move up and down the shaft.
Removable & Adjustable: An upper pommel that is completely removable and also adjustable.
Removeable: An upper pommel that is either on or off (it cannot move up/down the shaft).
None: If there is no upper pommel that comes standard (there may or may not be options to buy separately).
Fixed: A lower pommel that is fixed in place (the angle cannot be changed nor can it be taken off).
Adjustable: A lower pommel that can change angle or location on the tool.
Removable: When the lower pommel can be removed but not adjusted.
None: If there is no lower pommel that comes standard (there may or may not be options to buy separately).
| Upper Pommel: Removable & adjustable|
Lower Pommel: Removable & adjustable
Grip Size: Adjustable
|Materials|| Pick: Steel|
Grip: Glass fiber reinforced plastic
The main climbing gear certifications are CE and UIAA--and normally the UIAA creates the rules that the CE body also supports. When possible, we try to list all the certifications the product carries.
To sell a climbing product in Europe, the device must be CE certified. There are no official requirements to sell climbing gear in the US. The UIAA certification is a voluntary process.
Instructional pictures for Petzl Quark ice tool.
Describes with words and helpful photos, how to protect your ice tool and ice axe.
A checklist helping you monitor your ice tool and ice axe health, helping to know when to retire your ice tool and ice axe.
Helpful instruction for inspecting Petzl ice tool and ice axe.